- Chair of joints chiefs says ‘natural’ origin more likely
- 2018 cable expressed concern about Wuhan laboratory
- Coronavirus – latest US updates
- Coronavirus – latest global updates
- See all our coronavirus coverage
The Pentagon’s top general has said that US intelligence has looked into the possibility that the coronavirus outbreak could have started in a Chinese laboratory, but that the “weight of evidence” so far pointed towards “natural” origins.
The chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, Gen Mark Milley, was speaking on the day of a Washington Post report about state department cables in 2018 in which US diplomats raised safety concerns about the Wuhan Institute of Virology (WIV) which was conducting studies of coronavirus from bats.
Link : US military chief: ‘Weight of evidence’ that Covid-19 did not originate in a lab